[CBQ] Montgomery Interlocking Tower

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Montgomery Interlocking Tower
From: "Dave Fiore Sr." <df514@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:23:17 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I posted photographs of Montgomery Interlocking Tower before and
after in Photos, album title Montgomery.

There is a black and white photo of the tower in 1969, and three
views taken today showing what is left (just the foundation with
holes and slots for switch connections).

A CB&Q station map of Montgomery, prepared in 1917 for ICC valuation
report, does not show the tower.

However, an article published in the Aurora Beacon newspaper on March
26, 1925 reported the tower was located in Aurora and it would be
moved to Montgomery. Also, it had been out of service since
installation of a new interlocking plant at Aurora.

According to the article, CB&Q relocated the tower in order to use
the mainline as an advance track for trains moving out of Aurora
Yard. Other details: CB&Q designated the tower as No. 38 and it would
control 12 switches at Montgomery.

I understand the tower was abandoned around 1965 after installation
of CTC. Can anyone verify date? Also when it was torn down?

Thank you.

Dave Fiore Sr
Montgomery, IL