Re: [CBQ] CZ foreign sleepers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CZ foreign sleepers
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:18:59 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob

  My understanding, from a recent article in Trains, was that the CZ offered to
transport passengers, but the offer was declined because the SP was so sure
they could get the CoSF moving again.

  sjl

Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net> wrote:
          They (The NYC) leased a variety of 10-6 sleepers - and from all three
of the major partners. I have a partial list somewhere, gathered
from Pullman NYC assignment records by Dave Staplin when he visited
the Newberry Library. But there were plenty of times that that
(leased) sleeper was unavailable or that it needed to be
supplemented. As did the SILVER RAPIDS. Both stainless and two
tone NYC sleepers show up a lot on CZ consists, mainly because NYC
had a lot of sleepers - and from about 1954 on, their sleeper
capacity simply wasn't used that much - and they didn't have a ready
outlet (like the Pennsy did with the Florida traffic). They ended up
selling a lot of sleepers to Canada and Mexico, and converting quite
a few to ersatz SlumberCoaches (and then let the lease of their real
ones go and they ended up on the NP and they sometimes showed up on the DZ).

The consortium partners were not limited to the Q, WP & D&RGW. It
included (at the beginning) the PRR, NYC, MP and SP. And later the
AT&SF. The SP was included due to the original "sailings" from the
Oakland mole, the AT&SF was the connection from San Francisco - their
buses were under-utilized and WP included them in the contracts to
bring passengers from SF to Oakland / Emeryville (depending on
era). On the ticket, you could start from SF, and that connection
was ticketed via the AT&SF. MP was included because of their
original desire to have a St. Louis connection that would run via the
Royal Gorge and Pueblo, connecting at Glenwood Springs. No matter
what they tried, they couldn't get the schedules to fit just right,
and that was dropped. The additional service was to be a dome coach
and a sleeper. The SP, UP & AT&SF were in the contract for weather
and wreck related blockades. In 1952, when the CoSF was stranded,
the CZ was right behind it on Donner Pass - it made it through on the
other track (some talk was made of using it to push the CoSF but
smarter heads prevailed), and the rest of that week, the train
detoured via Bakersfield (SLC to Bakersfield to Oakland) - the trains
were late, but left on time. (That story is a good indication of why
the WP & D&RGW never used E units and why the PA's didn't last long
on the CZ on the D&RGW - all powered drivers & the F's torque were
much preferred). The actual participatory contributions of the
consortium participants varied greatly, the MP bowing out before
providing much beyond planning aid.

At 09:33 AM 11/10/2006, Stephen J. Levine wrote:
>For its regular transcon service with the CZ, New York Central
>leased one of the D&RGW CZ cars, unlike the Pennsylvania, which
>owned its own. This, according to Karl Zimmerman.
>
> sjl
>
>rgortowski@aol.com wrote:
> The light gray/dark gray NYC sleepers certainly appeared
> on the CZ, even as
>early as 1950. See the cover of Jeff Wilson's "Burlington in the Heartland"
>and you can see what Bob Milner confirms was an NYC car in the 11th slot. I
>bought one of the Railway Classics "River" sleepers just for this
>possibility.
>You can also see ACL fluted sleepers in 1951 as well in "Portrait of a Silver
>Lady" Many foreign road cars were used, even before the 1952 extra cars, to
>augment the consist.
>
>Rich

Bob Webber