Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:08:10 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill Hirt wrote " The thing is there is really nothing "new" about the Atlas
Train Man line"....
What are you talking about?   While the first freight cars in the O Gauge
line do look like the original Atlas O Roco tooling (and I would expect that
the samples are original production but the new production will be
"tweaked") ... and the RSD4/5 loco is brand new.
The first HO items are brand new tooling and state of the art as far as
proportion and fidelity...just no etched metal parts and fewer add-on parts
in general so they can be sold at a lower target retail price.
The N Scale line promises to incorporate more of the older less complex
tooling (Atlas having been in N freight cars longer than HO) but reportedly
will also have some brand new tooling as well.
I think the concept of the line is on target and will be welcomed,
especially in the smaller scales.  If you need 100-200 of a car type (like
open coal hoppers) paying a premium for etched metal parts and metal
brakelines is overkill.  A more basic car will serve.  This allows Atlas to
bring to market more basic cars to meet this need while still also marketing
"state of the art" cars in another line.  I don't see the downside of this
exercise.
Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources