Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...
From: "Rick Keil" <rkeil6721@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:38:29 -0500
Bcc:
Cc: nightowl88.1@netzero.net
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I run into similar problems.  There are many things I would like to have but
a limited budget.

It really frustrates my wife when she asks for a Christmas list since most
items are limited run and need to be bought early versus later.  Not that I
would be disappointed if she couldn't get an item but she is a good woman
and trys to feed my hobby desires!

I think we as Q modelers face a double edge sword, the Q is very popular so
almost all new releases come out in our railroad.  I also think the Q
lettered items get sold out very quickly as well.  Its almost as if we're
competing against ourselves for these models.   I remember when the BLI
2-8-2 was released, I got one but I had to do some searching and waiting.

I believe we may still need some of our modeling skills though.  Not all
roadnames are as popular as the Q and one can get another roadname and
paint/letter as appropriate.  Again the time we can devote to the hobby
comes in play but it should be less than the "old days" since most models
are much more detailed than a few years ago so our time goes to painting
only versus painting and superdetailing.

On a similar note, I went to Cincinatti for the national train show.  The
amount of stuff out there is mind boggling.  As I looked at all the
structures, rolling stock, electronics and other stuff, I realized that I am
going to need to learn be a better modeler so I can build scenery and
structures with cheaper materials so I can save my limited budget for those
"must have" things.

Rick Keil