Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:01:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
To keep in on topic, the way things are today....
We will see Q-specific models in plastic (like the California Zephyr and
9900) that would not have been possible ten years ago.  Even Q Steam is not
out of the question in the future.
The trend was started by the IRS when tax laws changed so holding inventory
became something that distributors and retailers could no longer afford to
do, even in times of low cost of money.
The advent of smaller runs (they aren't "Limited"....no manufacturer is
going to make less than they can sell, at least not intentionally!!) has
caused/allowed wider selection of models.  And we, as consumers, aren't
willing to buy duplicates of what we already have in our collections, so
each run has at bare minimum new roadnumbers, often different paint schemes
and roadnames, and increasingly improved details or new tooling for
variations to attract our attention.
Those who pine for the good old days when you could always get Athearn blue
boxes forget it was because that was all that you could get.... you didn't
have all
the quality manufacturers in the game that you have today.
We are indeed in the Golden Age of Model Railroading.
Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources