Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com,CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:57:53 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Loren, this data (Pullman Pool cars on the Burlington) would be in the
assignment records that are at the Newberry library in Chicago.

I keep planning a trip there and keep finding other things interrupting
those trips.  That's also where the CB&Q archives are located.

Again, though, the crucial question is going to be era, followed by a less
crucial question of train.  If it is pre-48, a lot of information can be
pieced together from the Exposition Flyer Bulletin.  If it is post '48,
then the first course of action is to take passenger time tables and create
a matrix of trains and cars.

For example, if you look at the 1949 PTT, and look at the Oriental limited
section, you see that the equipment needed includes 2 16 section tourist
cars, a 8-2-1 car, an 6-3 car, a 12-1, another 8-2-1 and a 6-6.  Now, that
is obviously a GN/CB&Q example.  But, if you look at the equipment for the
Coloradoan, you'll see that the equipment includes  a 12-1 as the only
assigned sleeper - this will almost certainly not be a pool car, but will
be a CB&Q owned car.  Now, will it be a 2410 or a 3410?  That's where
you'll have to find consists and match names and find the plan numbers to
match the plans.  The Blackhawk required a 8-3-1 and 2 8-5's.  Train 19-43
required a 8-2-1 and 3 12-1's.

You just put a table together with the train number down one side and the
car types along the top.  Then you fill in the matrix as you read the PTT
and you have an idea for a given period of how many cars of what type were
needed.  Then you look at the CCR database and the Glick books and
determine which cars the Q owned vs. which the pool would supply.  Then you
take the pool cars and either looking at the consist information or the
assignment information you can determine which cars were right for the pool
assigned cars.

Simple right?   Unfortunately, there isn't a simple method that I am aware
of short of doing photo analysis and consist analysis to determine correct
car consists.  Now, you look at the consist sheet that the BRHS put out and
it shows #14 for July 31, 1954.  it has a 12-1 as a CB&Q # 609 which was a
2410A Pullman, Pocomoke.  Which is a Rivarossi-style Pullman.  On another
consist, for the Blackhawk 8-24-34, there is a 14 section (plan 3958A
Branchline car) New Nicollet, another New Phalen, a 10-1-1 (plan 3973A ,
Branchline car) Rice Lake, a 8-1-2 (plan 3979A - Branchline car) Cyrus
Northrup), a 4-2-1 -Lounge, a 12-1 (plan 3410 - Branchline) Pepin, a 12-1
(plan 3410 Branchline) Wahpeton, and a 12-1 plan (3410 Branchline )
Winnepeg (plus head end & coaches).  Now, saying these are Branchline is
one thing - the problem is the date.  Most of these cars (if not all) were
given A/C in 1935 - in other words, the cars are right, the roofs and
underbodies wrong.

Now, if we can find more consists of post 48 or we can get the Pullman
assignments we can have more information to provide everyone.  That is my
intent when I go to the Newberry at some point in the next week or so.

In terms of RTR cars, I'm not 100% pleased with them the Branchline cars
either, and this was the first cut for them.  The cars are NOT done the way
the samples were done.  I would expect that the next batch will be better -
I think they had better be.  This is a time when passenger car modelers are
really in heaven and expect better.  The Hi-Level cars from Intermountain,
the Kato business cars, and others are beautiful examples of what can be
done.  I hope the wait for the CZ cars mean they appreciate the calibre of
quality that is expected.

At 10:41 AM 5/15/2005, Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
>That's my question, what heavyweights under the Pullman pool would have shown
>up on the Burlingotn? I'm not 100% pleased with the way the Branchline RTR
>cars run. Although I'm working on a fix for them. More weight is needed.
>
>Loren Johnson

Bob Webber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM