Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:00:26 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Don't forget you can now get built up Branchline cars that are correct (in
terms of lettering and most underbody equipment) from both Branchline and
Intermountain.  And while they will be more than Walthers, they preclude
the need for further research and detailing.  But that might not be a
problem as the level of detail is up to the purchaser.

At 04:46 PM 5/14/2005, you wrote:
>As to the accuracy of the RTR decorated cars, if you want to be dead-on
>accurate, the Walthers cars have issues with the lettering and possibly the
>air-conditioning type (depending on which car you are
>modeling).   Unfortunately,
>there ain't no easy answers...  For a good representation, I  think the
>Branchline cars are a little nicer because you can build them up into  the
>exact
>configuration to match the Q cars (but they are kits).  The  Walthers
>pre-builts
>are very nice cars, but I don't like the thick windows (AMB  has laser-cut
>replacements), the fact that it is very difficult to get the roof  off to put
>people and blinds in them, and the fact that if you are going to  put a
>name decal
>on the car, you need to mask (or remove)  the windows so  you can use
>overspray to try and blend in the decals.  If were to buy a  Walthers car,
>I would
>want the undecorated Pullman Green car, so I could decal  it correctly to
>match
>Q practice.  Since you will have to overspray anyway  if you are going to put
>a car name on it, why not go to the trouble of  doing all the lettering
>correct?
>  Rich Gortowski

Bob Webber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM