Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:02:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
At 08:29 PM 5/13/2005, you wrote:
>With the recent flurry of new heavyweights brought out by Walthers and
>Branchline it's tough for us marginal passenger train people to know what
>exactly
>would be correct and what isn't. How's about some guidance from the pros.

While I'm not a pro, I can get you started... you are going to have to
limit things as to period and use (in terms of your interest).

As a first go-round, I would head for The Pullman Project Web Page:
http://home.att.net/~pullmanproject/
and download the CCR XLS database - that will provide you with all of the
sleepers and then you can search for those sold to the Q.

I will caution you that Walthers will paint any car with any road name
without regard to prototype.  They also do not pay attention to the
underbody being prototypically correct to the name and road of the
car.  Branchline provides you with the car that is prototypically correct,
with the underbody and A/C details that are correct for that car.  It makes
a difference *if* you care about the difference.

The Bulletin for the Exposition Flyer will provide  lot of information in
terms of the cars that are accurate and then you can match that information
to the database. (If you don't have Excel, there are free viewers available
to allow you to read and to sort it).  You can also join the passenger car
Yahoo list, and they will help answer questions as well.

But, you are first going to have to answer what time period as it makes the
largest difference; and then service as that can make a difference as
well.  Bill Glick's books will also be a big help.  Be aware that a lot of
cars on the Q are Clover series - and those aren't coming out (at least
they haven't been announced, and for good reason - there isn't one car type
that is a Clover, they are rebuilds so they have different features amongst
themselves).

Bob Webber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM