Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Heavyweight Passenger Cars
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:46:21 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 5/14/2005 10:03:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,
no17@comcast.net writes:

Be aware  that a lot of cars on the Q are Clover series

Bob,

The Q only had three 8-5 Clover cars.  The most heavyweight  sleepers the Q
owned were 12-1 cars, but with several different plans (3410,  3410A and 3410B
as well as some 2410A and a 2410I)

Dan - Bob is absolutely correct, before we can tell you what type of cars  to
buy, you would need to state your time period and location you plan to model
(for instance, even though the Q owned two 6-6 sleepers, I do not need any
because in December 1950, they did not run on any Chicago routes - they were
out  west).

If you just want a rough idea of the available models, the Q had 12-1's
(Branchline and Walthers) ,  8-1-2's (Branchline and Walthers), 14  Section
(Branchline - coming soon and Walthers - already available) and the  soon to be
produced 10-1-1 (Branchline).  As Bob mentioned, the 8-5 and  12-2 cars had
only
one vestibule, so no chance of using any of the existing  Walthers or
Branchline cars without major surgery.

As to the accuracy of the RTR decorated cars, if you want to be dead-on
accurate, the Walthers cars have issues with the lettering and possibly the
air-conditioning type (depending on which car you are modeling).
Unfortunately,
there ain't no easy answers...  For a good representation, I  think the
Branchline cars are a little nicer because you can build them up into  the
exact
configuration to match the Q cars (but they are kits).  The  Walthers
pre-builts
are very nice cars, but I don't like the thick windows (AMB  has laser-cut
replacements), the fact that it is very difficult to get the roof  off to put
people and blinds in them, and the fact that if you are going to  put a name
decal
on the car, you need to mask (or remove)  the windows so  you can use
overspray to try and blend in the decals.  If were to buy a  Walthers car, I
would
want the undecorated Pullman Green car, so I could decal  it correctly to match
Q practice.  Since you will have to overspray anyway  if you are going to put
a car name on it, why not go to the trouble of  doing all the lettering
correct?

I'd be happy to entertain any specific questions, should I know the  answers.

Rich Gortowski

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM