Re: [CBQ] Re: Proto2000 GP9 w/sound

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Proto2000 GP9 w/sound
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@bresnan.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:36:24 -0700
     The one locomotive that really got me back to modeling the 'Q' was when
I first laid eyes on Proto 2000's 'Blackbird' SD-7. This was only the fourth
locomotive Life Like had released under their Proto 2000 brand and I really
think they were still trying to establish themselves as a serious contender
in the high-end locomotive market. Outside of having to add the high-mounted
Mars lights...the paint colors, especially the Gray,  were the best I had
ever seen and the lettering and shell/underframe details were superb. I was
hooked! The same quality seemed to follow suite with the 'Redbird SD-9,
GP-20 & GP-30 releases. When the announcement for 'Blackbird' GP-7's came
out, I was again expecting a banner model. It appears that 'close enough is
good enough' had crept into Proto's production policy and since they
released Union Pacific models in the same releases, they just used good old
UP Harbormist Gray on the 'Q' units. Why mix another batch of paint? This
followed suite on the next GP-7 release, the SD-9 'Blackbird' release (which
I talked to a source at Life Like about and was told "Yes it is wrong but I
couldn't get product development to do anything about it")  and now the GP-9
release. It is a dirty shame that all subsequent 'Blackbird' releases
couldn't have been done like the original SD-7. I'm sure they still had the
color formula for 'that' Gray somewhere. To me, aside from those wonderful
Genesis F-3's & F-7's,  the new Atlas Master Locomotive Series SD-24 with
road specific details at $109.98 retail, is the best value on the market and
is where the market should be price-wise. The new lower priced InterMountain
Railway F-3's are extremely nice and much better than their earlier F-7's. I
believe the next serious contender will be Athearn with their new
Ready-to-Run locomotives utilizing the re-tooled RPP shells. If you haven't
taken the time to really look closely at their new GP-35, SD50, SD60 &
SD45T-2 at $85.00 to $104.98...you really should-just so you can see what
can be built at a reasonable price. I think Proto better watch out!

   John Olson
   Billings, Mt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM