[CBQ] Review-New 60' RPO cars by Walthers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Review-New 60' RPO cars by Walthers
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:11:33 -0800
Bcc:
I just received the new 60' RPO cars from Walthers/Trainline. These are the
cars that were included in the 4 car 60' set introduced by Walthers many
months ago. Of course, the RPO was the only car I wanted as it appeared to
be a dead ringer for the Q MA-11's.

It looked so good that I bought an underpainted one as well. This one I will
paint in silver and number either 2330 or 2337 (I have photos of these in
silver).

After careful examination of the cars, and comparing these with Bill Glick's
"bible" on Burlington passenger cars, I have the following comments.

The bad news:
It is incorrectly numbered 2322. Number 2322 was an MA-9 with different
spacing of the windows on each side, the model has 6 windows evenly spaced
on each side and is an MA-11. So I either let it go, or attempt to change
the number between 2325 thru 2346. The roof is not ribbed, it's a smooth
roof. The mail catchers appear to me to be slighly oversized. Will use some
brass casting for the silver RPO. I don't like the "Kadee" type couplers
included in this kit - they are the cheap ones - an easy fix with real Kadee
couplers.

The good news:
The length, window spacing and overall details (except for the roof) appear
to me to be dead on. Take your time putting all the grab irons and had rails
on. I used Floquil Pullman green to match the body side - it's very close,
and engine black is a match for the roof grab irons. The trucks look great
and are free rolling.

Overall, I WOULD recommend this car to anyone that would like to have a good
looking Q RPO car that would fit in with any heavy weight cars - from
Branchline, Walthers, or even brass models. Run several of these with some
express cars and a coach or two behind a K4, E7 or even a GP9.

Ray Bedard
San Jose

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM