[CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: "jobbox123" <jobbox123@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:22:58 -0000

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "jworones" <jworones@y...> wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> Thinking (dreaming?) about the announced Broadway Limited CZ cars.
> Since the wife would never let me get them all, I need to select a
> set of cars for the late 1960's. Preferrably 1969.
>
> To help me choose, would any one have a consist list for this era? I
> went through the archives and pulled up some from the mid 50's/early
> 60's but would like something closer to my era.
>
> TIA
> Jeff Worones
> Lake Stevens WA

The Cal Zephyr (unlike some of the other CB&Q trains) had a remarkably
stable consist over its cb&q lifetime .... Just a few sleeper changes
- conversions to coaches I believe of the 16 sections ....

When I compare the initial consists (listed on the cal zephyr museum
website) with late 60's consists listed elsewhere they are very
similar. I do have photos showing the addition of havelock baggage
cars on the headend in addtion or substituted for the original CZ
baggage cares but i think if you just modeled the original consist you
coulr get away with that for a late 60's version as well.

I believe there were differences in the skirting (some cars were
de-skirted ?) and intercar connections - full width originally - and I
believe the domes had wipers on the ends originally : check all these
details though since these are just my recollections. I dont have
dates when these changes were made so perhaps someone else does ....

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM