[CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: "jobbox123" <jobbox123@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:41:53 -0000

Good info .... Actually my repsonse should have stated that I was
referring to a first section consist and yes, I neglected to mention
the inclusion of foreign road sleepers and coaches and tourist
additions: these give you quite a bit of leeway in modeling .... but
there were also times during the year when these additions were not
present - plenty of photo info to back this up. I rode the CZ once
during the sixties and the consist on that run was a pure CZ trainset
except for a single prr car.

My opinion about the "stability" of the consist was really aimed at
comparisons to trains like the twin cities and other cb&q trains and
the combined operations on the NCL / EB/ twin cities where I have seen
all types of "pool" cars ... but its good to know that there was much
use of the pool on the cal zephyr.

The business about the second section on the CZ is new to me: where
would I find more information and photos about this ? Also since you
appear to have done a lot of research on the CZ, do you know then the
changes I mentioned were applied to the cars - or If I am even correct
concering the changes of the full-width diaphragms and dome wipers ?

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@c...> wrote:
> > The Cal Zephyr (unlike some of the other CB&Q trains) had a remarkably
> > stable consist over its cb&q lifetime .... Just a few sleeper changes
> > - conversions to coaches I believe of the 16 sections ....
>
> Yes and no.....
> The mix of individual cars in the consist rotated in and out
constantly due
> to routine maintenance and repairs.  So for the purposes of the original
> question, the consist was not really stable at all.   As far as I
have been
> able to determine no "pure" consist of one railroad's cars ever ran as a
> full train (the exhibition trains were not full CZs).
> Recently there was a post of a Western Electric ad (I believe)
stating that
> the CB&Q equipped all its postwar trains with the P/A / Audio system
used on
> the CZ.... so CB&Q  cars could run (and subsequent research showed
they did
> regularly)
> in the CZ without disrupting the train announcement / entertainment
system.
> I suspect that since the TCZ and other Zephyrs had the system that the
> prewar Budd pool cars and probably the modernized heavyweight
coaches were
> also wired....
> In researching CZ consists for BLI for their upcoming release I had
a hard
> time finding a pure CZ trainset.  Foreign road sleepers and even
coaches and
> non-CZ Q equipment was quite common, at least after the first few
years.  At
> any rate, the second section of the train could carry anything,
including
> RPOs and heavyweight baggage cars and were a dog's breakfast of
stuff pulled
> out of 14th Street!!
> The accommodations did remain fairly stable minus adjustments for
season,
> regular passenger load and special movements....
> the only real changes were the addition of the 6 DB 5 Compartment
and new
> floorplan 10-6 sleepers and a single additional 16 section sleeper
in 1952
> 16 section sleeper.  Pool cars with the ArkSarBen, American Royal
Zephyr and

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM