[CBQ] Re: Freight car rosters +

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Freight car rosters +
From: "dave_Ndrgw" <ntrains@macfocus.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:33:59 -0000

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@i...> wrote:
> The current discussion seemed to be a timely opportunity to provide
an update on this subject.
> Over the last 18 months, I've been working on a CB&Q freight car
roster covering the years from 1885 to 1970, for publication by the
BRHS and other circulation, such as List Files, CD's, etc.  I've
received incredible help from a number of members for this project
(which was originally expected to take 3 months!!! ) for which I am
extremely grateful.

> I'm still collecting ORER's and other material ...

Hi all,
FWIW the same issue has naturally enough arisen on other lists and the
DRGW has been around this issue several times over the last 6 years
and this example may go some way to show the value of 'researched
analysis'- albeit second hand from books and videos.

As a somewhat latecomer to the 'railroad hobby' I have been naturally
keen to use the resources and access the net provides- so have been
scalping the DRGW archives in the hope to compile an indexed databse
of info/ web site at some point (lost a years worth of data mining but
wont go into that!) and here is an example.

Excellent examples from Jim Eager and other DRGW list and RGM&HS
members can be searched by non-members via
http://www.drgw.net/drgwlist-archive/index.php, Nathan Holmes free
access host archive. Use suitable keywords as typical/ consist/dates/
etc.

--begin copy--

From: Jim Eager (jeager@visionol.n...)
Date: 1999-03-02 08:33:20
Subject: [drgw] [SG] 1960s Train Consists 4.1

Here is the updated 1960-1969 data by identifiable road name, with
additional notes on car types for each road (ranked most numerous to
least). The 436 cars are a little over two thirds of the 645 records for
this era.

Obviously SP (20.64%) made up the largest single group of cars by far even
in the 1960s, followed by CB&Q (8.49%), WP (7.34%), the Grande's own
home-road cars (6.65%), then MP (4.31%), Santa Fe (3.90%), UP (2.75%), GN
(2.52%), PRR (2.29%), and NYC (2.06%). No surprises there based on either
direct interchange or car fleet size. However, the PFE and Trailer Train
cars tended to move in solid blocks and were entirely missing on many
trains. The next tier (3 to 9 cars, under 2%) represents interchange
once-removed and/or medium size car fleets, and I think that any road
represented by 3 or more examples is statistically significant.

However, there are 25 single-car examples (5.73 percent combined), and
several large and medium-size roads are not represented at all. (B&M, CP,
DT&I, GM&O, KCS, Soo Line, C&EI, SCL, WM, LV, RDG for example.) I wouldn't
read too much into this because of the relatively small size of the
sample.
Rather, I would assume that any road that is missing could just as easily
be present in another sample. Conversly, any road represented by a single
car could just as easily not be present. Consider them to be background
noise.

Modelers seeking to assemble a representative car fleet should apply these
percentages to your entire fleet, not to each train. Obviously you will
need plenty of the well-represented roads' cars on hand, along with a fair
number of the secondary road cars. As for the single-car examples I'd say
you could have a single model of just about any of these road's cars, but
just don't run it every time. If you are modeling west of Dotsero then use
the entire list, but if you are modeling the Moffat Tunnel route or
Tennesee Pass then it gets trickier. Weight the Moffat for CB&Q, RI, and
UP, the Pass for MP and ATSF. I didn't include the data for the Joint Line
because it is a completely different situation, plus there wasn't
nearly as
much data.

------------------------

1960-1969 BY ROAD NAME & CAR TYPES

QTY PERCENT RR TYPES
3 .69 ACFX T
2 .46 ACL XM
3 .69 ART RS,RBL
17 3.90 ATSF XM,RBL,HT,FA
1 .23 B&LE XM
1 .23 BAR XM
8 1.83 B&O XM,GB
3 .69 C&O XM
37 8.49 CB&Q XM,RBL,LO,RPL
1 .23 CG XM
1 .30 CN XM
1 .23 CNJ XM
4 .92 CNW XM
1 .30 D&H XM
29 6.65 D&RGW RBL,XM,HT,GS,LO,HK,GB
1 .23 EFCX RBL
2 .46 EL XM
1 .23 ERIE GB
1 .23 RBNX RBL FGE
3 .69 GAEX XM
1 .23 GARX RBL
1 .23 GATX T
11 2.52 GN XM
1 .23 GTW XM
1 .23 HAMX RBL Hamms
1 .23 HWCX LO Haliburton
7 1.61 IC XM
1 .23 L&N XM
1 .23 MEC XM
7 1.61 MILW XM
1 .23 MKT XM
1 .23 MON XM
1 .23 MORX RSM
18 4.13 MP XM,RBL,HT,GS
1 .23 MRS RBL
5 1.15 N&W XM,FA
2 .46 NH XM
5 1.15 NP XM,GS
1 .23 NRBX RB
9 2.06 NYC XM,GB
1 .23 P&LE XM
1 .23 PC XM
12 2.75 PFE RS,RPL
10 2.29 PRR XM,GB
8 1.83 RI XM,LO,RBL,GB
2 .46 SAL XM
2 .46 SHPX LO
3 .69 SLSF XM,GB
6 1.38 SOU XM,HT
90 20.64 SP XM,RBL,LO
6 1.38 SSW XM,RBL,LO
1 .23 SP&S XM
1 .23 T&P XM
5 1.15 TLDX LO CARGIL, TRONA
18 4.13 TTX FC,FA
12 2.75 UP XM,HT,HK,LO
3 .69 WAB XM
3 .69 WCLX RSM
1 .23 WM HM
32 7.34 WP RBL,XM,LO
436 100 TOTAL CARS

Jim Eager jeager@visionol.n...
--end copy--

Trust the example is of some use to CB&Q. I'm keen to read more on the
'connecting' empire to the east ;-)
regards, davew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM