[BRHSlist] Re: Assembly of American Model Builders Waycar Kits

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Assembly of American Model Builders Waycar Kits
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:59:20 -0600
Scot
Can't say about all the new ABM kits having the laser cut ladder, but the
one's I have assembled came with. This includes the M&StL Bay Window (first
to have the ladders), Frisco, and Rock Island. Now all three of these kits
were commissioned by others and AMB did the work. But the ladders were AMB's
answer to a vexing problem (and a good one). And each of these kits will
eventually become part of AMB's stock line (I think the M&StL is already).

The beauty of the laser cut stiles is each can be cut to the unique style
per RR. Of the three kits mentioned above not one has the same ladder
design. The M&StL is straight, the RI has a slight bend, and the Frisco has
a very pronounced jog with a unique above roof extension I have not seen on
any other caboose. And for two of the cabooses, as built they did not have
the upper above roof extensions. So the instructions read "If building as
build just cut off the extensions at roof level".

I should note the M&StL caboose also comes with a wonderful acrylic bending
jig for the grabs. It was set up for using straight brass wire to produce
the correct size, length and curvature of each grab and end railing on the
caboose. And it was slick to use. I have modified it (with additional holes,
etc.) for use with other cabooses as AMB has not produced a similar jig for
the other kits cited. If you plan to build or modify a number of
cabooses/waycars can get your hands on one of these jigs.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowatelecom.net/~dharding/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511