[BRHSlist] Re: RR Days is not dead at all!

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: RR Days is not dead at all!
From: "Stephen J. Podwojski" <spodwo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:00:43 -0000
Bill - you make some good points in your post about G - RR days not
being "dead" but it is on the way out.  Not living here in Galesburg,
you probably don't realize how much the community WANTS Galesburg RR
days to die - I could go on as some of the reasons why but the fact
remains, they do...

There were 2 other letters in the paper, the same day mine was
published.

Here are some of their comments...

"I have made my almost annual pilgrimage to Railroad Days for more
than 10 years.  Without the railroad participation, the festival has
lost it's uniqueness.  Sadly, now it is really no different from any
other Midwestern festival."  - Michael Johnson, Elgin - Illinois
{note he moaned that he drove 170 miles and wondered "where are the
people?".

"I was so disgusted with the fact  that things were so spread out
this year, that it seemed to be a hassle to enjoy yourself at
something that used to be fun. I know of some people who avoided
Railroad days altogether because of the hassles that were caused by
the sprading of the festival and its lack of true significance to the
city"  - Amanda Fisher ? Galesburg, IL.

Let's add insult to injury about Galesburgs' shorsightedness.

BNSF wanted money to underwrite the insurance...City wouldn't do it,
RR museum couldn't do it, DT merchants [many of them] don't want
anything like Galesburg RR days, from let's say about - 1999.
Someone can correct me but I think the price tag on the insurance was
$25,000 to $35,000.00.  Not a small amount....but...

The CITY in it's infinite wisdom, just flushed $500,000.00 due to a
hotel debacle that they sunk bonds into and economic development
money...

This editorial best sums up this "waste" of local money:

http://www.registermail.com/news/editorials/edit6.html

I am certainly NOT saying that RR days is dead.  The point is that
the things you mention, are for the diehard RR fans only.  My 3 boys
want to ride on trains, climb in trains, ride a ferris wheel,
etc....even the Lionel Layout at the RR depost wasn't there this
year! Every year, since 1999, the overall attendance has wained and
there are less "things" to do at the event. There is some history in
talking to the locals but you can't "hook" the next generation of
would be train lovers with stories alone.  The is generation of kids
are hands on and a very visually stimulated bunch.

Galesburg RR days has to represent MORE than the items you mention.
It's a bigger issue than you or I have control over Bill you frankly,
you do more to advertise and support RR days than most of the people
in Galesburg do.

Your website on Galesburg is wonderful but the local politics and
community has lost site of RR days.  Some want it dead and unless
something changes, even more of RR days will dissappear.

Stephen Podwojski
LiZarD AtTiTuDe RailRoaD
http://lizardattitude.homestead.com

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM