[BRHSlist] Re: RR Days is not dead at all!

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: RR Days is not dead at all!
From: "Stephen J. Podwojski" <spodwo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:29:51 -0000
Bill - here is a letter to the editor that was published in the
Saturday paper by me...there were 2 others that had the same overall
view....note I mentioned your letter of June 29.  Note - I never said
it was "dead" but it is dying.

"Galesburg Railroad days a bust" [my title and not used by the editor]

Galesburg's paper's title:

"Community has lost sight of it's railroading roots"

Here is the letter...

"Every year, I come back to my hometown, Galesburg.  I grew up here
and I still own a home here. I bring my wife and 3 children all the
way from Arizona, and we always coincide our visit with Galesburg RR
days.  I want my children to understand a little bit of history and
come to know what it is like to live in a small rural community.  The
first time my boys ever road on a train was here in Galesburg. In a
sense, it is a time to have some good old-fashioned fun?I stay for a
minimum of 2 weeks through the 4th of July.  I spend money and
support the local economy and yes, I still pay property taxes.

Galesburg RR Days was such a major disappointment this year.  This
event is a mere shell of its former existence.  I noted the fine
letter written by Bill Selleck [he has a wonderful website devoted to
Galesburg and Railroad History].  I feel his letter to the Editor,
which appeared on the June 29, 2003 Editorial page, was thoughtful
and well written.  However, I feel the real issue that he failed to
address, is the lack of commitment to RR days by the community
itself.  After wandering around Saturday and Sunday and listening to
the various comments of the factions that try to bring this event to
Galesburg ? I can see why it is dying the slow death.  Most of it can
be attributed to community short sightedness that can be best summed
it in one sentence:  "It's too big of a hassle".  It seems that
unruly conduct by some people, that occurred years ago, still fester
in some people's minds.  Gads, it doesn't take Railroad Days for some
people to drink too much beer and act irresponsible.  Heaven forbid
if 10,000 people show up here and spend some money for a couple of
days!

Next year is the 150th Anniversary the rail lines being brought to
Galesburg.  From the book "Burlington Route" by Richard C.
Overton: "On December 7, 1854, just as winter was closing in he {John
W. Brooks} brought to Galesburg the rails that provided a direct
through line to Chicago.  Thus the second of the four major lines of
the original C.B.&Q in Illinois, was completed".  To get the rail
lines here, the citizens of Galesburg, fought it's own little feud
against Knoxville to get the Railroad to come through here versus
Knoxville ? and Galesburg won.  There was such a tenacious group here
that WANTED the Railroad to be part of the community; it seems hard
to imagine that the opposite is true today.

Galesburg, which is reeling from a local economy that can't get kick
started, plant closures, and unemployment, should be concerned with
providing an event to showcase the community.  For a couple of times
a year, hard working individuals endeavor to attract people to
partake in a few special events [The Stearman Fly-in is another
example]. I can't begin to tell you how many people relayed to
others, or me that they traveled hundreds of miles to partake in this
year's "non-event".  And they won't be back next year. Of course,
based on what I have seen ? it doesn't look like there may be a
Railroad days next year.  The momentum is gone.   It would take years
to rebuild the numbers of attendees from previous years.  {I can
almost hear the words "good riddance" muttered by a local naysayer
after reading my last sentence}. I know many worked hard hours to
bring the event to fruition this year but unless the Chamber, Town
Council, Railroad Museum, BNSF, and the local area merchants get
their act together ? the final curtain may come down on Galesburg
Railroad Days.  Maybe we can see if Knoxville is interested in
sponsoring Railroad Days?

Kudos to all those that have given up many hard hours work at the
various events.  There was work and effort put forth and I don't want
forget those that do try to make RR days a premiere event. The Train
Show seemed to do well and the Galesburg Railroad Museum group
provided valuable and historical information but it is not enough.
Most of the citizens of Galesburg seem to have already voted and
said, quite clearly, that they are not concerned with the town's
history, heritage or putting their best foot forward.   It is well
and good to have custom designed light poles downtown [one design
depicts Galesburg's strong Railroad history] and quite another
to "live" the boast. It is a perfect example of a community that is
losing site of its roots and it's vision.

Stephen Podwojski & Family

Gilbert, Arizona & Galesburg, Illinois"

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM