[BRHSlist] Unique Historical Opportunity...Limited time offer....until i

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Unique Historical Opportunity...Limited time offer....until it rains again
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:50:00 EDT
Anybody remember the big Republican River flood of summer 1935????probably
not....

Anyhow this event, and a history of repeated flooding over the years resulted
in a massive flood control project in the Republican River Valley which
resulted in the Harlan County Dam and reservoir...completed late forties or
early
50's.

This project involved the Q relocating it's branch from Republican (City) to
Orleans (KS) and the complete inundation of the town of Republican City...The
Q never included City in its timetables...Same was true of Mason (City) NE and
Pawnee (City) NE...The town's businesses were relocated to higher ground, and
the Q relocated several miles of its Republican Valley Line and built a new
depot at Alma.  Al Holck devotes several pages in his HUB OF LINES WEST book to
this project.

The former town of Republican (City), and the Q's facilities there which
included a four track yard, coal chute, turntable and two stall roundhouse were
left in place  to be covered as the water rose over the years.

Lincoln Railfan's Club member and editor of the Cornhusker Chapter of the
NRHS monthly newletter THE WHISTLE, Dale Griffing, reports this month as
follows.

"If ever you yearned to prowl the exposed bottom of Harlan County Reservoir,
spend a half day, and do it.  Any DRY DAY this summer.  The entire expanse of
old Republican City townsite and environs lie exposed now because successive
drought years have pulled the Harlan Reservoir water level that low"....Dale
goes on to describe what he found there on a recent visit as well as details as
to how to get there and what to look for...

I'm planning to take advantage of this unique situation this summer before
the rains begin...
And do a little "journey to yesterday"...my wife calls this "Ghost
Railroading"...this will be Ghost Railroading PLUS.

If anyone would like more details on this situation and/or be interested in
making a trip out there, please contact me off list....

In round numbers the Harlan County Reservoir is located just about due south
of Holdrege and about on the Kansas line...Be about a three hour drive west
from Lincoln...Lots of other Q branch line territory to explore in the area as
well.

Pete

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM