Re: Q Heavy Crane?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Q Heavy Crane?
From: "Mar <bruntonma@y...>" <bruntonma@y...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:28:40 -0000
Hi Harold,

My name is Mark Brunton. I was born in Cheyenne and was raised in
Casper, Cody, Lander, Casper and Cheyenne, in that order. I now live
in New Jersey (UGH!). With relatives all over Wyoming, we used to
travel a LOT. I'm pretty familiar with Thermopolis. I still have some
relatives there on my dad's side, and several of my mother's
relatives' final rest is at the Thermopolis cemetery. My sister was
born in Worland.

I'm modeling the CB&Q line from Frannie through Casper and down to
Orin Junction, including the Cody branch, and the C&NW line from
Shobon to Lander (as hidden staging). The timeframe is around 1944,
but isn't solidly fixed - it will have strong elements from the 1930s
to the mid-to-late 40s. The new bridge your father worked on, the
abutments for which have "1948" on them, won't be there yet.

I've put together a website about the layout and about the CB&Q's
Wind River line (that's what I call it, anyway - more descriptive
than "Casper Sub" or something, I think). The site is still evolving
(they never stop), but I think I'm off to a decent start. The URL is:
http://www.thecbandqinwyoming.com.

Any comments anyone has are most welcome. Any corrections or
additional info are even MORE welcome! 8D

After a move last summer, the layout is undergoing a redesign and
will be expanded into an even larger area than the website currently
shows. The new plan will be incorporated into the site as soon as
it's finalized. But construction on the layout began anew about ten
days ago (YES!), on already-started sections moved from the old
house.

The Wind River Canyon will take up a large chunk of real estate on
the layout - I'm excited to see how realistic-looking I can make it!

So, not quite 1955, but I got the right location, anyway!

Cheers!

Mark B.

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, Harold Huber <sarge8usa@y...> wrote:

> Jon,
> Just a few miles to the south and east, Bonneville to Lysite. My
dad worked on the new bridge just north of the new dam (Boysen). I
was born in Thermopolis and lived there on and off, a few years (dad
was in construction then building most of the schools in Wyoming).
1955 I lived in Thermopolis. Delivered papers to the State Park.
Don't forget the refinery, there was a lot of action there. I have
current day photos of the depot that are on disk so if you want some
let me know, "Burlington's Lines West Depots" by Robert C. Brown
http://www.avalon.net/~slinger/ is great one photo in there of Depot
in Thermopolis. If I ever get enough room the Wind River Canyon and
Thermopolis is on my list. Remember the coal mines at Crosby and the
other town which name slips my mind. Also the oil trade in and out.
Lots to model and great for that time frame. Hollar if you need
something I may have it.
> Harold Huber
> Sheridan, WY (soon to be Dugway UT.)
> Is there anyone else modeling the Wind River canyon and
Thermopolis circa 1955. I am just about to lay track on that section
of my layout and decided I really need to find out more about the Q.