Re: [BRHSlist] New HO models

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] New HO models
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:20:52 EST
In a message dated 12/5/02 12:48:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, cbq168a@i...
writes:

> Although I'll be using these cars for the roof
> and ends to use with sides from Brass Car Sides to build
> some of the dome coaches for the Empire Builder and the
> North Coast Limited to run over the CB&Q. Also shouldn't
> forget the dome sleepers that the NCL carried also. Funny
> thing is that I'll probably be able to add the fleet of
> these cars (5-6) that I need combining the Brass Car Sides
> sides and the Walthers body for less than what two $horeham
> $hops dome coaches ran me for the Twin Cities Zephyr.

Check into the new "Core Kits" from Train Station. I think you'll find
they're cheaper than buying the Walthers Cars just for the roofs. They are
using a Budd Roof that's really nice and also with the Pullman Standard core
kit you also get the ACF Roof.

You can model the entire NCL using brass car sides with the exceptions of the
Slumber Coach (Walthers is perfect for NCL), the Observation, and the Water
Baggage. With the new Domes coming from Walthers I am thinking that they
might be a great core kit for the dome sleepers and coaches for the NCL. I
haven't checked the Train Station Budd Roofs against the Walthers Budds so
you may have to use the Walthers since Budd used the same roof for all the
post war cars. Well the short domes and the full domes are the exceptions.

George Greissmann in our club built the Empire Builder out of Brass Car
Sides, it looks great! He used a Balboa Diner and Observation, the Obs isn't
correct but he did some detailing and it looks very good. He also used one of
the Con Cor Smooth Side 72 foot baggage cars and detailed up it looks very
good. His entire train looks very fine! Now I've just got to get him to do up
a couple of E's so he will have the correct power on the train! That's Silver
E's by the way!