Re: Burlington respect

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Burlington respect
From: "mdawson97172000" <mdawson97172000@y...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:00:45 -0000
I'm not sure if one of the more amazing Q facts has been
mentioned in this interesting thread.

According to David P. Morgan, writing in a two part article on the
"Burlington Story" in Trains magazine in November/December
1955, the Q was "one of those corporate paragons that defies
emulation: it has never turned its affairs over to a trustee or
receiver, never compromised a financial obligation, and never
missed a dividend since 1861."

Given the woeful records of most granger-region railroads and
the tough circumstances of the Depression, that is quite an
accomplishment. Morgan notes that every road in Q territory,
except the UP and ATSF sought bankruptcy protection during the
Depression.

These articles are well worth chasing down.

I wonder if Kalmbach could be persuaded to authorize
re-publication by the BRHS?

Michael Dawson