Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect
From: Brad Slaney <bradslaney@w...>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:42:50 -0700
Pete,

I know what you mean. Some invoice for 3.76 worth of bolts from a hardware
store in Alma, WI would cross my desk. By the time it got to me, it had 16
additional pieces of paper attached to it (excluding the voucher) and it
would have been signed by at least 7 people, and I had no idea who they
were, with the exception of the Superintendent and the GM.

We had ledgers that had to weigh 30 pounds. I made a remark about placing
computer terminals in all the superintendent offices, and tying them to our
office. That was heresy. Of course nobody had the foresight at that time
to start understand what a good computer system could accomplish for
productivity. Those accounting clerks could have become EDP types. I
figure I was about two or three years early at 547.

I had an Accounting Professor at UNLV, who had worked for GN. He said the
GN was about 10 years ahead of the Burlington in computer use.

BRAD