Re: [BRHSlist] Athern F-3's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Athern F-3's
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@h...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:25:25 -0700
Bcc:
Yes, Aeolus3 is correct. However, since Athearn labeled each boxed set as "F3A/B 135A/B" and "F3A/B 135D/C", one would assume that the proper letter designator would appear on the model. As it is, there is no difference between either set. So why not just label the set as: "F3A/B #135". Yes, I know what assume means.

Ray

From: Aeolus3@a...

Ray,

If memory serves when the motors were delivered from EMD they carried no
"A,B,C, or D" suffixes. These were added later. In Corbin's book "Burlington in Transition" ABBA Set of F3's # 132 carry the suffixes however the shot is taken in 1953 although they were built in 1948. It appears to me that as the
nose grabs were added to the motors, that is when the motors recieved the
letter suffixes.

Athearn's 3 motor set, F3 (A), F3 (B), and F7 (A) is correct. As with the
earlier FT 4 motor sets the Burlington broke up the four motor sets of F3's.
The numbers, 163 ABC, 164 ABC, 165 ABC, 166 ABD. With the pure F7 sets, 167
ABC, 168 ABC, and 169 ABC.

In short Athearn is correct on how the Burlington F's are decorated and
numbered.. it just depends on the time period when you are modeling them.