Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS 2002 Calendar

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS 2002 Calendar
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:51:46 EST
rgortowski@a... writes:

> I have no problems with legitimate questions and in no way am trying to
> "shame" these away. I do, however, have a problem with sarcasm directed at
> the people who are doing the work.

Rich and list,

The "V" word is exact... Volunteer! No one involved in the publications of
the BRHS receives any pay. Not Hol, not Mike, not Dave, not Ed, and not the
host of others involved in putting together the research, the writing, the
proofing, the distribution, of the BRHS Publications receives anything other
than a HARDY WELL DONE! The BRHS Publications, from the newsletter "Zephyr"
to the "Bulletin" are the BEST of any Railroad Historical Society. I know of
many other groups that have a page limit on all publications, we have NEVER
placed restrictions like that on our Editors. Many years ago the GM&O HS,
put out a very fine publication on the GM&O E Units, owing to the page limit
the GM&O News, the article took three issues.

Does anyone realize that after the copy has been made ready for press it has
to be proofed? Sometimes that proofing has to go through more than one
person. Also that proof has to be mailed, did you ever think that since
9-11-01 the US Mail is sometimes slower? Our Printer is located in Aurora
IL.... copy, proofs, and corrections have to be mailed back and forth between
the printer and BRHS People.
One type correction may take more than a week to make the rounds. Also if the
changes are more complex a new proof with the corrections has to make the
same rounds as the first one, before that publication can go to press. And
then make the rounds to the company that does the mailing located by the way
in St Louis.

Think about this process the next time before you start pointing fingers! And
remember all the people involved also have a family, jobs, and other
responsibilities that have to be taken care of before they can "Volunteer"

Kicking away the soap box.