Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS 2002 Calendar

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS 2002 Calendar
From: drale99@a...
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:14:28 EST
Ravenna was a unique place. It was a division point on the St.
Louis-Billings line, which was a busy line in the 30s and 40s. The town had
a population of only about 1800, many of whom were railroaders. Had a large
yard and engine facilities. Freight, passenger, and express business was
good. In season there were up to 30+ stock extras per day. The town was
well supported by the railroaders. I remember that most engineers and
conductors drove Chryslers. Many nice homes, and every street in Ravenna was
paved. Rail wasn't heavy enough for the biggest locomotives, thus many
mikes, pacifics, and mountains. May have been O2s, O3s, and M2s, no S4s O5s
or M4s. I don't remember seeing diesels on that line until after the war,
but I was gone for awhile.
Now you go to Ravenna, nothing is left. It hasn't been a division point for
years. I doubt that the depot is still standing. Last time I was there,
only a portion of the building remained. Roundhouse, tt, yards all gone.
Very depressing.
My most vivid memory of Ravenna was a train wreck on the west edge of town.
An east-bound freight had stopped short of the yard. It was rear-ended by
another eastbound freight. Engine went through the waycar and four or five
cars full of potatoes. What a sight! This would have been arround '39 or
'40.
To me, Ravenna was a railroader's dream. My dad didn't think so. He was
2nd. trick operator and yardmaster -- too busy to enjoy anything about the
place. His ulsers got so bad (an occupational disease in those days) he
finally bid a branch line job, and he never went back to the main.