Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:31:31 -0600
Gabe,

Might have to re-think this a little. Got to watch the words,
"certainly reached a specific point on the line". The OS
is a passing time, not an arrival time. That is why they put
markers on waycars and that flashing red light on rear end
devices. Even the present day rules make that very important
distinction. The "Track Release" is very clear on this.
Train has to be "by" or "clear of" the specified point.
Where the head end is is of no meaning at all.
I do not understand the reference to an Interlocking. What
does that have to do with current terminology?

The current trend away from "Contingent Authorities" is
also a factor here. If you can not "give" someone the track
until the train in question is physically past their location
that is good from my point of view.

While it's more important to me what an "OS" is rather then
what the nomenclature means if I had to answer the question
the concept of "Out Station" makes the most sense.

TheVLBG