Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading
From: "D. Gabe Gabriel" <signaling@r...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:55:04 -0500
I appreciate the point - point well taken, and important. However, in its
original use, I'm not sure that it is correct to refer to the rear or the
front being at a specific point (which is your point for current use). And
regardless of current use, OS had a specific original use, which is my
curiosity.

As for interlocking reference, this has been common in the Northeast for
more than 20 years to refer to a train passing an interlocking, and I was
simply mentioning this was one of the incorrect uses over at least 2
decades - which is current terminology by some, whether right or wrong is
another story (and we all know it's wrong, possibly now best to refer to
such misuse as "slang") - I cannot say why it started. And while "Out
Station" fits the letters as well as "On Sheet", it doesn't fit the era when
OS seemed to originate, which was about 100 years ago.

My curiosity on this is has been to establish the origin of the term, OS.
And of course, to give its "accepted" meaning properly for a given era.

Thanks
Gabe