Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] OS - Was Suggested Reading
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@c...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:17:33 -0600
The Rocky Mountain Railroad has used this verbiage for years, with an indication that it came from "On Sheet" from dispatchers.

At 06:13 PM 12/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
As someone that has been researching "OS"... (one term of many that I hope
to document properly) I would love to hear any facts with primary sources
anyone can offer on this... So far, I find that the term "On Sheet" seems to
be nonsense, but, logical - a reason it has been repeated a lot the past 30
years. OS seems to date to telegraph short code, and perhaps before. In the
last 30 years, there are also guys that have called it "Over Switch" as well
as "On Sheet". OS seems to date back to 1900 however, so, info of the past
50 years is not significant to determine "why".. A train "OS'ing" has
certainly reached a specific point on the line, and in current terminology,
an interlocking - but, the point reached and the reason for the term OS?
OS train report is consistent with the telegraph short code BTW.

While I missed the earlier posts on this thread, I look forward to hearing
more, especially if primary sources are mentioned.

Gabe