Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions
From: arnold299@a...
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:06:53 EST
JUst wanted to bounce a few questions about the new Challenger O-5's to the
BRHS listers. I recently acquired by first and second brass steam
locomotives. They are the Sunset 4-6-4 and the Oriental 4-8-4. Both are great
locomotives and without a doubt the most expensive locomotives on my layout.
I do not regret buying them and in fact since I am cursed with the CB&Q bug
consider it to be my duty to have some CB&Q steam.
My question to all is since the Oriental Limited is such a fine work of art,
and the Custom Brass is good second runner-up ( I am told, never seen one
run), why spend the big bucks on the Challenger O-5's. I am in the market for
a oil burner but is the price worthy of the Challenger. I have never seen the
Challenger workmanship and I am not putting it down. I just want some input
about what whistles and bells on this locomotive make it worth that price tag.
I understand I will probably never see Athearn or Proto 2000 make an O-5, I
just consider the price on the Challenger unit a little high.

Scott Arnold