Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:53:09 EST
Hi Scott,

You bring up some very good questions about why anyone in the world would
want a Challenger Imports model. My opinion is that Challenger Imports,
along with W&R Imports (very road specific NP, GN, and SP&S and some Rio
Grande), is importing the finest brass steam locomotives on the market. I
think when you see an importer bring in a run of "Q" Hudsons or Northerns or
any other model in HO scale you're quite possibly seeing the LAST brass
engines of these specific kinds to ever be made. I have to admit that I do
not view the brass market as being that healthy.

First off, what are you going to use your model for? If your primary
interest is running it I wouldn't get a Challenger. Too much money when an
Oriental will operate better on a layout for less money. I view my high end
brass steamers as works of art and investments. They stay in the box or are
on display. My thoughts are that if you want to run an O5 that's why there
are the Custom Brass, Oriental Limited, and PFM O5s (super expensive
collector engines but they'll run forever - not the most detailed engines but
magnificent models nonetheless).

I can't tell you exactly what makes a Challenger model better than an
Overland or Key. They seem to capture the correct proportions of the engine
better than anyone else (on the order of Fujiyama). This is due to the
builder; Samhongsa. I have to admit the CNW E-4 Hudsons were rather mind
blowing when I realized that they had light up gauges on the backhead (at
least I think they did ... it's been a long time since I ran my friend's
model).

Near as I can tell (brass importers tend to not publicize their prices) the
Challenger Imports O5s have a list price of $1628 (from Canadian Model Trains
website a few months ago). Challenger does not have a list price but the
dealers set their prices. Dealer cost is supposedly 30% under list so dealer
cost is something around $1140. Anytime I can buy new brass at dealer cost
plus 10% I consider that fair. That would put the cost of our O5 up to
$1302. Affordable? Your call. $800 for an Oriental and $500 more will get
me a Challenger that will potentially appreciate more than that Oriental?

This post has not been very Burlington oriented other than the sample loco.
If anyone wants to discuss this furthur please email me directly. The "game
of buying new brass" is somewhat confusing and anyone considering a new brass
model is foolish if they don't learn how the game is played before buying.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL