Re: Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Challenger CBQ O5's 3 Versions
From: jsauer@e...
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:08:23 -0000
I have collected brass for years. I have one piece of Challenger
steam, the S4 #3001. It is a work of art in every sense. Mine seems
to run well. I guess I'd say it's more fragile than some of my older
steam. Even though I have a layout under way, I have to admit I
don't run anything that much. I have always felt that the plastic
diesels, such as Stewart, P2K, Atlas, are more dependable than any
steam I own (not unlike the real thing).

I guess my best comment on the Challenger steam is that I now have an
O5b on order. Yes, it will be expensive, but it will be beautiful.
I have most of my stuff on display in my den, and the O5 will
probably spend most of its time there and not on the layout. I guess
it depends what you plan to do with the engine. I remember (vaguely)
seeing 5632 run through La Grange when I was a little boy and I want
a model of that engine.

Based on the price of new brass in general, and I mean passenger
cars, freight cars, everything, with some passenger cars retailing at
$350-400, for what the Challenger model is, I do not think it is
overpriced (but please, Challenger, don't go any higher!).

John Sauer.

--- In BRHSlist@y..., arnold299@a... wrote:
> JUst wanted to bounce a few questions about the new Challenger O-
5's to the
> BRHS listers. I recently acquired by first and second brass steam
> locomotives. They are the Sunset 4-6-4 and the Oriental 4-8-4. Both
are great
> locomotives and without a doubt the most expensive locomotives on
my layout.
> I do not regret buying them and in fact since I am cursed with the
CB&Q bug