Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:09:24 -0500
The Cameron Family wrote:

> This is the kind of detail that's especially helpful for us modellers
> who have no personal experience of train operations. Can anyone comment
> on the kind of signalling and train control in use on the K-line between
> Burlington and St. Louis at different times? According to my 1963
> timetable there were parts of that stretch under Centralized Traffic
> Control. Other parts (including Keokuk, which I'm most interested in)
> were Manual Block System. Can anyone tell us a bit about what those
> terms mean and how they were applied operationally? A note in the
> timetable also says "No train order signal at Keokuk" -- can anyone tell
> me what that would mean as well? Thanks.
> Duncan Cameron

Duncan:

I do not know much about the K-Line but your last question is easy.

CB&Q Rule 221 states:

"A fixed signal must be used at each train order office except
as otherwise indicated by timetable."

That is the first sentence in a rather long rule that covers what
requirements govern the Operator and Train Crews with regard to
train order signals. Does it also say that "All trains must receive
Clearance Form A"? If it does, then by simple logic there is no
reason to have a train order signal.

Russ