Re: [[BRHSlist] FW: Burlington in Colorado in Late 1880s ]

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [[BRHSlist] FW: Burlington in Colorado in Late 1880s ]
From: Richard Townsend <richtownsend@n...>
Date: 27 Apr 00 11:23:15 PDT
Cc: annm@k...
Here are the clues I have gathered from a weekend reading of Willa Cather?s
"The Song of the Lark:"

1. The book was written in 1912-1913 is set around 1890.
2. ?Moonstone? is somewhere in northeastern Colorado.
3. Moonstone has a courthouse.
4. Moonstone is sited north of the railroad track.
5. There are sand hills to the south of Moonstone.
6. Moonstone?s railroad facilities include a depot and a roundhouse.
7. Using a trestle, the railroad crosses a deep ravine with a dry sand creek
in the bottom. There is no mention of a river in Moonstone.
8. Passenger train ?No. 6? serves Moonstone.
9. A conductor on a freight train has a run from Moonstone to Denver.
10. The freight run from Moonstone to Denver took about 12 hours.
11. There was a freight train number 14.
12. On the run from Moonstone to Denver the train goes past an area where
there are red sandstone boulders shaped like toadstools by wind erosion.
13. Somewhere on the line from Moonstone to Denver is the town of
?Wassiwappa.? It probably is west of the town of ?Saxony.?
14. Wassiwappa has a siding where the freight train waited for train number 36
to pass.
15. The town of ?Copper Hole? is about 15 miles to the northwest of
Moonstone.
16. The town of Saxony is 32 miles from Moonstone, on the line to Denver.
17. To go to Moonstone from Chicago apparently one first goes to Denver, then
backtracks east. Or at least that?s one option.
18. Thea took the train from Moonstone to Chicago, and she rode in a Pullman.
Apparently it was a direct train (i.e. she didn?t go to Denver and switch
trains there for one to Chicago).

From these clues I deduce that Moonstone must be a town of some importance.
Since it has a courthouse it likely is the county seat. Since it has a
roundhouse and freight trains originate and terminate there, it may be a
crew/engine change point on the railroad.

Here?s some other info I have unearthed, primarily from "The High Plains
Route," the 1948 Handy Railroad Atlas, and the Rand McNally Road Atlas:

1. The towns on the CB&Q in northeastern Colorado are (were) Ft. Morgan,
Brush, Akron, Otis, Yuma, and Wray on the more southerly Q line, and Ft.
Morgan, Union, Sterling, Fleming, Haxtun, and Holyoke on the more northerly
line. The towns on the more northerly line are on the river.
2. The CB&Q had a passenger train number 6. It ran from Denver to Chicago,
through Fort Morgan, Brush, Akron, Otis, Yuma, and Wray.
3. The county seats on the CB&Q in eastern Colorado are Holyoke, Sterling, Ft.
Morgan, Akron, and Wray.
4. According to "The High Plains Route," Akron was a CB&Q crew change point.
(I assume there were others, but don?t have any information.)
5. Sterling and Holyoke had roundhouses. (I assume other towns did too, but I
haven?t identified any others.)

I don?t know much about the geography of eastern Colorado, including key
points such as the location of the sand hills and the toadstool rocks (I know
that such things are found in western Nebraska, for instance at Agate Fossil
Beds National Monument). Ignoring my geographic ignorance, and based on the
above points, and assuming that Moonstone represents a real town in Colorado,
my preliminary nomination for the prototype for Moonstone is Akron since it
fits more clues than any other and isn't inconsistent with any clue.

Anybody want to add to the clues and info?

Rich Townsend

"David Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...> wrote:

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Anyone on the list like to help? Again, please remember to reply to all....

Dave