Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:55:52 -0500
Ed DeRouin wrote:

> BRHSlisters:
>

> I can tell from the thread that the story needs to be told. We have
> forgotten about the installation of lower quadrant semaphores on the
> LaCrosse Division and a method of providing advance block information
> that allowed 90 mph running without cab signals or automatic train stop.
> Yeah, I know Karl, 90 mph was a special instruction GUIDELINE! Jim
> Singer and I have also uncovered a pre CTC practice named Check Lock, a
> method under the dispatchers control to instruct operators to assign
> track direction between stations.

Much was snipped to save space:

Better look at your notes again about "Check Lock". The Dispatcher
did not have any control over it's use and actually had no knowledge
of what Current of Traffic the Operators had established between each
other.

It was simply a system of manual Permissive Block that in ABS and
CTC is taken care of by relays and becomes Automatic.

Since I would presume it was installed in every tower between Union
Avenue and Galesburg it is hardly a subject to "uncover". While
my employment post dates the closing of Montgomery and East Eola,
at Aurora the levers were still in the machine for the two mains
West, and at West Eola the counter that had the boxes very obviously
had room for the three that interfaced with East Eola.

I have used it and understand it's function.

BTW, before the CTC was cut over at West Eola the Dispatcher's
console at Cicero did have a active track indication light for the
three mains between Aurora and West Eola. All it told him was that
the track was either occupied or not. it did not indicate current
of traffic and there was no traffic arrow when occupied. The track
indications at West Eola on his board were dead and indicated nothing.

Russ