[CBQ] Double Heading Steam

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Double Heading Steam
From: Ray bedard <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:39:25 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245249598; bh=4cO/Lx2+MJ63/p+iaGzk+gQg9OyAy37gQccgNc79yiU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=aaYuzCqZyygz2lZ/baEv0PgYrJFsOdUwJbI85rUnOnZmpPG4/UAPY/RrvhbVm9UpIp69yxQzCOU53nX3mkXAwX/c6XA/+YGfTyGg50XIxAs4LOEGNnaX/tSGFL5Rxm0F
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have always wondered how the railroads, I mean the engineers & firemen,
operated a double header. I know that each engineer operates his engine
separate from the other engineer, but how did they coordinate the start up,
increases and decreases in speed and stopping?

Were there some kind of signals between engineers to let them know when changes
in speed were being done. How did they know that one engine was, say, running
at 20 mph and the other would match that. I have never seen anything about this
in any mags.

I am more curious about this when the 2nd engine was at the rear of the train.
If not coordinated properly, the pusher could easily run the consist into the
lead engine causing a derailment.

Thanks,

Ray Bedard

San Jose CA