[CBQ] Boeing 747 Cars on the Q

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Boeing 747 Cars on the Q
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:13:25 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245158059; bh=qbNf873Veis40GGau6PQymF5O0Ma2s78b5J6KfZN054=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=jlhhPAb3jDBADek7Xnzdq591dWJ8eBVPw/aO8oXRYPluoXAupUnltBL7nvGh8v8xtpCueWQTvSlV1uRNYogNac6hoxZWE36Dq4VlWMKfNh2OcQgfqFFWKAYsWtjXZxQD
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I was looking through one of my brother's freight car books and saw a photo of
GN 60716 (only car in the series), a Thrall enclosed flatcar for transporting
747 parts. The car was built in August 1968, so it fits my era. What caught my
attention is that the car was shot in Farmingdale (Long Island), NY heading to
Seattle, WA (the Boeing 747 plant is in Everett, WA). Photo was taken in
September, 1969 - again, my pre-BN era.

I found some posts by Jeff Vorones and Rupert Gamlen back in October 2007. Jeff
wanted to know "Did the Q handle aircraft parts cars?" Rupert wrote: "I'm
trying to find out about five flat cars #91900-91904 that were built by Thrall
Maxson in 1968-9 and were apparently assigned to Boeing, possibly at Long
Island.  According to a BN equipment list, the first two cars had 'canopies'."
I am sure the "Boeing Long Island" plant is Farmingdale, where the photo was
taken of the GN car. (BTW: I checked the group archives and did not find an
answer to Rupert's or Jeff's questions.)

So here we go again for discussion:

Going from NY to WA it would seem to me the car would probably go NYC/PC to
Chicago, CB&Q Chicago to Mpls/StP, GN from Mpls/StP to Seattle/Everett.

Can anyone confirm that this car (or similar ones) traveled the Q between
Chicago and Mpls/StP?

This would be an awesome car to add to a consist for anyone modeling the Q in
the late 60's (LBF made a GN Boeing car in both HO and N). So hopefully someone
will have some answers.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH