Re: [CBQ] Massey Concrete Instrument Huts

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Massey Concrete Instrument Huts
From: "Richard Gortowski via groups.io" <rgortowski=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 21:18:51 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
List,

This has been an interesting and fruitful discussion.   I took Jim's advise and went to Marty Bernard's CB&Q album on Flicker and looked through the 680 photo - what a great asset!  The first link will take you to his albums.  As Jim stated, most of the fragments of the roofs you can see tend to look lighter.  The second link shows the best shot I found for showing the roof.  The third link shows what others describe as the gravel coming off the roof and more of the black tar being exposed.  I am going to go with the gravel look, as I'm modeling an earlier time period.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/albums/72157655912354463/page1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/26160394908/in/album-72157655912354463/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/27792803159/in/album-72157655912354463/

I've been looking at some of the methods discussed (chalk, very fine ballast, powder, sand, and sandpaper.)  They all seem to have their merits.  I'm going to paint the black "tar" coat on a length of styrene and try some different techniques side by side.  Once I get that done, I'll report back.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Rich G