Re: [CBQ] Massey Concrete Instrument Huts

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Massey Concrete Instrument Huts
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 05:44:15 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 07:18 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:
Tar and gravel roof are installed by putting down the tar while it is hot and liquid. And while it is still liquid the gravel is shoveled and raked on top of the tar. So the roof color will be the color of the stone used to cover the roof, with a black background showing through
I agree 100% with Doug. This is the way it is done for commercial roofs. I would think it is done the same way for even a smaller roof for two reasons:

1. The light color stone reflects the sunlight and keeps the building cooler

2. Can you imagine how hard it would be to mix the gravel in with hot tar, then scoop that hot, heavy mixture into a bucket or whatever to put on the roof? And trying to get it even, or full coverage would be a nightmare! (Unless I'm missing some special technique.) On the other hand, hot tar can be sprayed on or even applied with a brush or roller, then as Doug said, simply shovel or bucket the loose gravel on top of the tar and spread it with a rake, or some other tool. For a small shed this could all be done from ladders.

I model this by painting my HO building roofs black then when the black dries, a thin coating of white glue (dries clear), and a sprinkling a lighter colored N-scale ballast on the glue/paint.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64558) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_