Re: [CBQ] GN U33C's Being Delivered On CB&Q

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GN U33C's Being Delivered On CB&Q
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 11:37:17 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tom,

If you are suggesting that the first GN unit is actually part of the operating consist of locomotives, I don’t think so. In 1969, if these three GN locomotives are all being delivered, none would be under power in Illinois. Before 1970, no railroad took delivery of new locomotives within the state of Illinois unless they had no other alternative. At that time, Illinois imposed a heavy equipment or machinery sales tax on all equipment delivered in Illinois. It was significant. Every railroad that could, took delivery of their equipment out side of the state (the Q in Lincoln). In 1970, Illinois adopted a new constitution which, among other things, eliminated the heavy equipment tax. After that, many railroads started taking delivery of new power (EMD and otherwise) in Chicago. From 1971 to late 1972, as an EMD service representative, I personally placed many new locomotives (BN and foreign)  in service at Clyde Shop in Cicero, IL So, in the photo on EBay, I am sure that all three GN units are dead in consist (DIC) unless the first GN unit was previously delivered and placed in service at St. Paul. However, at that time, from my experience, GN did not pool new power with the Q. Their pool contribution was primarily FT and F3 model locomotives, many of which would eventually work their way to LaGrange for trade in on new locomotives.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

GN U33C's Being Delivered On CB&Q
From: Tom Mack
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 07:29:21 PDT

I found this slide today on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144666397203?hash=item21aeca0a13:g:ZzwAAOSwvYhi6JTP

It is very interesting for a number of reasons:

1. First, of course, is the three GN BSB U33C's being delivered. One is in consist with Q SD7 303 and Q SD9 339, and the other two are in train, but only separated by one car each. Pretty cool. I already have 2544 (which I think is the second GN unit), but I'm not sure I am going to try to model all three units being delivered. This delivery train complements a train shot by Emery Gulash from July 1968 of GN U33C 2537 being delivered on a Q train going through Napierville, IL. It was the only U33C on the train, so this new slide is very interesting in that three units are being delivered at the same time. Also, for GN fans, note that the large GN plates are already attached to the handrails.

As a side note, this also makes me wonder if the shots I have seen at Dayton's Bluff yard of some other GN locomotives being delivered, but separated by cars, might have been a similar lashup at the front of the train with at least one of the locomotives being in consist.

2. The first actual car in the train is a loaded piggyback flat. Considering the GN U33C's no doubt going to Mpls/StP for delivery to the GN, and the first car being a piggyback, my guess is that this train will head all the way through to Mpls/StP without changing power. Does this make sense? Because if so, see the next point.

3. This is a rather rare (photographically at least) Q consist on the C&I since SD7/SD9's are not found in many photos post-1965. I have only found photos of two SD7's (307 and 314) and two SD9s's (445 and 452). Assuming this train went all the way through to Mpls/StP, this is just the third SD7, and the first dual control stand SD9 (not SD9s) I have found a photo of from 1965 to the merger. SD9 339 is part of the first batch of Q SD9's, 325-344, built in March 1954.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64087) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_