[CBQ] Ostrander Iron Ore from CGW to CB&Q (was Re: Q Connection Sale)

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Ostrander Iron Ore from CGW to CB&Q (was Re: Q Connection Sale)
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 13:32:32 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 02:34 PM, Fred Crissey wrote:
The only other move I can think of is some iron ore (in regular hopper cars) moved out of the Ostrander, MN area to the St. Louis area via CGW-CBQ.  This was not a high quality ore and the moves were irregular at best.  I do not where the junction was (Dubuque or Galena Jct.).  These could have lasted until the CGW/CNW merger and then it would have moved CNW direct.  The mines closed finally in about 1970.
Thanks Fred. Your post prompted me to join the CGW IO Group to discuss this topic. The Hanna Mine in Ostrander, MN that supplied this ore closed in May 1967, which is still my era. But an answer posted to my question about CGW to CB&Q interchange of this ore seems to indicate that other than perhaps a move in the early 1960's, all the ore was moving down to the Alton, IL area by CGW to IC interchange in South Freeport, IL.

That's not what I was hoping to hear, so I thought I would ask this group if anyone recalls seeing any photos, wheel reports, or whatever of some of these CGW (and other roads) hopper cars of ore interchanged to the Q in the 1965-1967 time frame?

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#62090) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_