Re: [CBQ] Stewart F units

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Stewart F units
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:53:09 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Oh goody, the cyclical freight F Unit paint color discussion….

I noticed on one photo taken at Aurora (maybe it was even a frame from a movie) from the roundhouse area of a F3 going by westbound on the track elevation embankment on a freight.  It was a fairly clean unit and appeared to have a new side panel installed that was very much a different color.

The same shade shows up in EMD builder photos.

It looks like the paint color changed from the original almost refrigerator white color to a darker gray that had tan overtones, then back to the original white color.

During the 5632 birthday trip to West Burlington 9960-C was in the shops and indoors the body color was very white.

I obtained a quart jar of “Imitation Aluminum” paint from a 55 gal drum and had a set of Athearn F-7s painted with it.   The paint was a dark gray and came out looking like Cadet Gray on the models.   I believe that the paint had aluminum oxide in it and when applied under high spray pressure it oxidized and was very much lighter.

The effect of road grime and sky lighting conditions could shift the color towards yellow, gray, brown or even blue.

I wonder if anyone has direct knowledge of the paint color being changed as I described.   I don’t have enough different EMD paint styling drawings to see if the paint code changed at some point(s) or even if it was recorded.

Charlie Vlk

PS- The scale of the model makes a difference as well…the smaller the model, the lighter the color has to be to look right.