Re: [CBQ] Rollers

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rollers
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:46:47 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Well well, I just had "another detail" to add to the details of railroads handling perishable products as Mr. Chaparro and I have touched on.

Those claims were so complex and could create what were known as "points of negligence" by one of the railroads over which the perishble items travelled.  Claims of this nature were "apportioned" in these cases based on "Points of negligence" and the charges by the origin or destination railroad handling the claims would charge the other railroads according to their commission of said "points of negligence"  The analysis and details of how the loss on this kind of claim was set over the AAR  (Association of American RAilroads) whose Freight Claims Division had a  "Review Bureau " AFTER THE CLAIM WAS PAID and a;pportioned among the participating railroads.  If another railroad took issue as to its share of the apportionment of the claim payout they would  "RECHARGE" their portion back to the railroad who paid and apportioned the payout among those roads who handled the shipment.

If the carrier did not agree with the recharge they could appeal.  The procedure could go on and on and on and on...some actually for years.   Eventually, theoretically there was a final decision which came from "somewhere", but I've forgotten whence it was.

All of the above"messy details" were so "arcane" nobody really knew, but it kept some employees busily engaged i these matters.

   There is more, but i think  "nuff said" on this matter...The Perishable BIDNESS was complex and it's benefit and profit to the railroads was always questionable to me.

Pete