Re: [CBQ] Rollers

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rollers
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:48:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Charlie,

RE:Q-CNW direct interchange at Wood St.

I can’t answer for the 1968 time frame  but do have earlier info.I’ll share.

I’ve been working on an article for the BRHS Bulletin entitled “Operations  at Congress Park” on and off for the past year. As part of the research I’ve contacted individuals who I know and who worked at Congress Park. Among those, Steve Holding shared summaries of interchange correspondence he saved from the dumpsters at house 9 and elsewhere. I don’t want to give away too much detail(sound familiar ?). I will say the volumes of cars interchanged at Congress Park are mind boggling.

What I am willing to share is that in 1961 Q mgmt. became aware that certain other western carriers began direct interchanges with certain eastern carriers on perishable traffic. The impetus was to save the intermediate charge via BRC,IHB or IN. Q mgmt contacted numerous carriers trying to make direct interchanges work. The analysis is interesting to read( some of it will be in the future article).

The Q reached out to R.W. Heron,Gen. Supt. Of Transportation, C.&N.W. inquiring about of direct delivery from the Q to CNW at Wood St. Mr. Heron responded that the CNW was unable to accept direct deliveries from the Q at Wood St. I’m thinking that physically this basically industry yard didn’t have enough room of long tracks to handle deliveries.

Interestingly the CNW delivered direct to the Q at Cicero via Wood St. at that time. In October the CNW total direct deliveries(all traffic) to the Q were 359 loads and 371 empties. I’m assuming these originated at Proviso and simply passed by Wood St.
The CNW delivered to the Q via IN,IHB and BRC 49 loads and 64 empties.
The Q delivered 484 loads and 97 empties to CNW via BRC,IHB,IN.
These total interchanges were relatively small compared to the volume going via Congress Park to Erie,PRR,NYC,ETC,ETC.

This article is some time off in the future as some higher priority things are ahead of it.

Leo Phillipp