Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Mack Railbus

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Mack Railbus
From: "Dennis Popish via groups.io" <qchooch=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:37:49 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bill and Robin:

I was just about to cite the Corbin/Hardy photo and read Bill’s posting.
I contacted Bernie Corbin years ago to inquire about the color scheme on the motor car in the photo. As previously stated he advised the colors were the same as used on CB&Q gas electrics and heavyweight passenger cars, a dark Pullman green carbody and black roof and underbody.
In the photo in the “Burlington in Transition” book (page 124 in my edition, second printing) the carbody appears to be very dark, perhaps black, but the railbus appears to be on display in the photo and may have been recently repainted in a dark gloss Pullman green which appears almost black in the black and white photo.
For modeling the railbus the closest I have found is a Precision Scale Company Mack Railbus Type ACR, #15232. These show up occasionally on the resale market.
Auxiliary radiators would need to be added as indicated in the photo on either side of the engine cowl mounted against the firewall. Presumably the unit had cooling issues warranting the additional radiators.
In the 1980’s a company called “Vintage Vehicles- in HO Model Railroad Scale” based in Canton and Uniontown, Ohio made a styrene plastic craftsman kit of the unit, their Kit VV-1 1922 Mack Railcar. It was not motorized, basically a static model but the detail and craftsmanship of the kit and parts were outstanding.

Hope this helps in modeling a unique CB&Q prototype.

Dennis Popish