Re: [CBQ] Rollers

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rollers
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:19:52 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Another t hought pertaining to the diversion matter.  No one has yet mentioned the matter of "diversion" vs "reconsignment"..there is a significant  difference.   Diversion is the 'diverting"  (I know that you shouldn't use the word itself in the definition) of a shipment to the same consignee from one location to a different location.  A re consignment would involve a different  consignee  (receivier)

Something not yet brought up here is the diversion and re consignment of "Perishable" shipments.  where a "miss" has "DIRE CONSEQUENCES" due to the actual "perishablity"  and thus the deterioration of the product itself which does not (necessarily) come into play when diverting or re consigning lumber grain etc.

Every junction point through which perishables moved had a "DIVERSION CLERK" whose sole responsibility was to be sure that diversions and reconsignments were "lined up" for the proper movement and to see that the requested change was actually carried out.   the same would apply to diversions.

Every railroad handling perishable shipment paid out "significant monies" every year to claims for "missed or improper" diversions or reconsignments.  It was a very complicated AND EXPENSIVE business.  Every railroads perishable claims department had one or two "Claim Investigators" who handled these matters.  There were "market changes" as well as actual "condition changes' involved.   Of course there were no claims when the "missed" diversion or re consignment happened in a "rising market"...

When I was  "Manager FReight Claims" at the Rock Island and I would see the volume and cash outlay for these claims which might or might not have "monetary' payout I often wondered as to why railroads were "SO HOT" to get this perishable business.   It required all kinds of special handling.  ie running trains extra fast.  calling out extra crew to make desired connections and then the "payout' for some little mistake in the way which caused a 10 minute delay in a connection or spotting of the cars. containing the product.

Pete