[CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 04:14:43 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I just picked up a couple of Tangent's new double door 40' NP box cars (one plug, one sliding). These cars, mostly loaded with lumber, were very common on Q trains heading east from Mpls/StP. If you haven't ordered one (or two, or whatever), they look to be superb cars of a unique design!

Now to the topic. I got to thinking about an earlier thread about empty NP and GN box cars being collected at Cicero and then moved to Mpls/StP in extras once a certain number accumulated - basically a unit train of empty box cars. But then I got to thinking about reverse routing of empties and per diem rates and began to wonder how this would have worked. The cars coming eastbound would have been loaded, and anything going east of Chicago would have come through Chicago. Reverse routing would have brought the cars back to Chicago. But then it seems that the empty box cars would have immediately headed back westbound on the next train so the Q could avoid the per diem charges. Why keep the GN and NP box cars in the yard longer than you have to? On the other hand, it might have been more economical to let them accumulate and send them out on an single extra. So I am wondering if anyone knows the reasoning behind the box car extras.

Can anyone explain how this might have worked on the Q? I have accumulated a lot of GN and NP boxcars simply because there were so many of them and a great variety that moved eastbound across my line (Mpls/StP to Chicago). I suddenly realized I can run an empty westbound box car extra of pure NP and GN boxes of all types, which would be pretty cool, and a great way to put all those GN and NP box cars to better and more frequent use!

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61796) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_