Re: [CBQ] Slide and Negative Scanners

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Slide and Negative Scanners
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 23:11:10 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Charlie,

Some one already mentioned it, but I have used a Plustek scanner for some
years. Mine is an older version, but the current model is Plustek 8100 and they
can be purchased on line for $350 - $400. I have had very good performance with
it. It is not fast, depending on the quality level that you want. Higher
resolution takes longer. It will do any slide with a 2 x 2 mount, but it only
processes a 35 mm size image. I have some 127 slides that will have the top and
bottom cut off. Not a problem if the subject matter doesn’t extend to the top
or bottom. The unit comes with a software package called Silverfast. Throw that
away and use your Vuescan software, That works great, is relatively easy to use
and provides excellent control and results.

The Vuescan won’t do your microfilm, so other than a flatbed scanner, I have no
suggestion for those. I agree with others that the Epson series of V series
flatbed scanners do well. I have an older Epson that does a pretty good job.
They can also be operated with your Vuescan software. I don’t think that there
is a prefect solution. I also agree with the other poster that the Nikon
Coolscan 5000s are supposed to be very good and they can be fast if they
include the auto slide feed attachment. Prices are generally around $2000 or
more on Ebay. I think a lot of people buy one, scan their slides and then sell
the unit.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO