Re: [CBQ] assistance with photos of Downers Grove - Belmont Rd. station

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] assistance with photos of Downers Grove - Belmont Rd. station and area
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:55:10 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Doug,

This could be a very long discussion as things changed over the decades. But I’ll just summarize. A great sources of info. Are employee timetables and special instructions which specify which main was to be used for traffic in which direction. As more modern signals and traffic control devices were installed flexibility to move in both directions became available.

With the installation of centralized traffic control(CTC),in the sections,during the late 1950 and into the 1960s trains could operate on all three mains in both directions. There was a general pattern of main 1(Nothern most main) as westbound. Main 3 (the southern most) eastbound and main 2 (affectionately know as the “middle” by operating crews) used in either direction. That’s because if the dispatcher put you on the middle you generally got around the slower train in the outside track.

One venerable, veteran engineer I worked with had a little ditty he would proclaim when we left Cicero westbound or Aurora eastbound and  we were routed to the middle, it was “high diddle, diddle up the middle”.

Also as background, from the last year or two of the 1920s until 1932 there were four(4) mains between Downers Grove just west of Forest Ave to Eola.

Leo Phillipp