Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:53:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

This video is the "epitome" of all illustrations of grain handling whether in Canada or elsewhere..Any of you guys who are truly intrested as to how grain was handled back in the day of the boxcar and steam locomotives..It's totally representative accurate as to what it depicts.

There are a couple of things I wanted t add to what I wrote earlier  One is the matter of "sampling" while in transit which created a huge problem and additional expense to the railroads...When grain arrived in a terminal such as Lincoln, Omaha or Kansas City from a county point it had to endure several addition switching moves..First the cars had to be switched out of an inbound train to a particular track in the receiving yard designated for "hold grain"..From the hold track it then had to be switched over to a grain inspection track where at these terminals there was a Grain Exchage Facility  ie here in Lincoln it was the Lincoln Grain Exchange...There the sampling took place via the inspector cimbing into the car via the ladder and probe as shown..You see that the inspector had to get on top of the load climbing over the wood grain door..Sometimes in the day of the paper grain door the inspector would just shove his probe through the grain door...thus creating a leak...

After the inspection process was done the grain was again pulled off that track and set onto the proper outbound track to move to its destination...The matter of "hold grain" was a big thing in the Chicago area when I first went there in early 60's..There would be track after track after track of hold grain which had to be switched out from time to time..Imagine the cost for that.

Also as a very interesting feature of the film check out the switching operation starting about 19:50 in the video..Check the cars going over the hump and the CAR RIDERS with their brake clubs..and the switchmen  who have "gone high"

Lots of good JUST PLAIN OLD RAILROAD STUFF in this video...Steam engines...brakeman with hand signals "riding high"..lanterns etc.

I was guessing that the movie was made early 1950's or so judging by the automobiles, adding machines etc as shown..At the end I saw 1955 as a publication date and that about fits.

This is a DON'T MISS  guys...if you really want to see railroading as those of us approaching the "rocking chair" knew it...

Pete