Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Grain-Hauling Boxcars
From: "kirby@prospectortech.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 06 Mar 2017 20:55:22 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1488833722; bh=LuLqaiDtaMO7lH0Lw7umOjYAR53Q1oZ8/6YZhipHr/M=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=MJaXaeYwBK9gdCflYpJjO4qre1MatXdxQrAibRgex4U5pGRYsFRolnpz7zhTOZAZtFEcfIX2W7L+zZVeL1HBD8W9KeSaOjc0p9Kjba3sFkEK8jkVZMtawvXt2eN+cAvz2ktQeLV5/aAawDA4jea3yQaiD+wqMxPYbnO5jIBYuZM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jan:

It was the video Grain Elevator that led me to ask the question about shrinkage. I have read some memoirs written about the period just after World War One. They happened to take place in North Western Kansas but the parallels in elevator operation to the video are striking. The main difference is  steam powered threshing machines and horse drawn wagons instead of combines and trucks. The operation of the country elevator would have been very much the same as in the video.

All of the stories took place on the old St. Francis Branch of the Q, in a country town that has dried up and all but blown away. The wood cribbed elevator there was torn down less than 15 years ago. The one in the video was torn down about 5 years ago.

That video gives a little bit of an idea of how dependent the farm communities and the Railroad were on each other. Those small rural towns were all about a days travel by wagon apart and most were on a branch line. That way a farmer could go to town and get back home on the same day. He could drive his stock to the shipping pens in town and be home for evening chores.

What I am trying to say is one did not exist without the other.

Kirby Lambert

Posted by: kirby@prospectortech.com